Love Your Berries
Get the best out of your fresh berries with our handy hints and tips
Whether you want to know how to keep your blueberries fresh, how to prepare raspberries or how to freeze strawberries, BerryWorld can help.
Store berries in the fridge as soon as possible after purchase. Keep the punnet upright and handle carefully to avoid bruising.
It is important that berries are brought to room temperature before eating; this brings out the fullest flavours in the fruit.
Always wash your berries before you eat them. The best way to do this is to carefully place them into a colander, rinse under cold water and gently pat dry with kitchen towel.
What to look for when buying berries:
When buying blueberries, look for plump, juicy, firm berries. The colour should be a deep blue and you will notice a ‘silvery’ bloom on the skin, this is a perfectly harmless part of the berry. Blueberries are ready ripened when you buy them.
When buying strawberries, look for shiny, crimson red berries. The colour may vary from season to season, but should be vibrant orangey-red or deep crimson. The calyx, the leaves at the top of the stem, should be green and fresh, with no browning. Strawberries are ready ripened when you buy them.
When buying blackberries, look for plump, deep purple berries. The colour should be dark and consistent and there should not be too many red druplets on the berries. A little juice in the punnet is harmless and will make for sweet and ripe berries. Blackberries are ready ripened when you buy them.
When buying raspberries, look for deep, red berries. Raspberries may vary in size, some being more conical than others, but they should all be consistent and uniform with no damaged druplets or bleed. Raspberries are ready ripened when you buy them.
(First, follow the washing instructions above - paying particular attention to drying the berries to avoid crystals.) Lay on a baking tray on parchment in the freezer until the berries are fully frozen. Then transfer to a punnet, this ensures the berries do not stick to one another whilst freezing. You can freeze berries and they’ll still retain all their antioxidant properties. Perfect for adding still-frozen to your morning porridge! Why not see some of Justine’s recipes for more inspiration?
- Berries make a great snack – you can simply eat straight from the punnet (after washing of course!)
- Sprinkle over cereal with cold milk in summer, hot milk and porridge in winter – you can even add a little honey to your bowl!
- Pouring yoghurt, or cream (if you are feeling indulgent) is a great partner!
- Blend with yoghurt, honey and other fruit for a healthy and delicious smoothie – or try one of our smoothie recipes
- Drop berries into your pancake mix or sprinkle on top to add extra flavour!
- Add to delicious warm scones – sprinkle them on top of your clotted cream!