Pan Roasted Duck with a Strawberry Red Wine Sauce & Braised Red Cabbage
Sophie says: Duck pairs very well with fruity sauces and the strawberries paired with red wine really makes for a comforting combination, perfect for autumn. The red cabbage with its light winter spices is also lovely. I suggest serving this with some rosemary and garlic roast potatoes.
- Firstly prepare the braised cabbage – this can be done ahead of time and reheated if needed. Finely dice the shallots and finely shred the cabbage. Pan fry the shallots in a splash of oil until translucent, then add the cabbage and cook for a few more minutes. Add the spices and stock, then and then cover with a lid and braise for about 40 minutes on a low heat. Stir now and again and season at the end.
- Next, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Finely score the skin on the duck breasts with the tip of a sharp knife and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat an ovenproof frying pan over a low heat and lay the duck breasts, skin-side down, in the pan. Slowly cook the duck for 10–15 minutes, draining off the fat as you go, until the skin starts to turn crispy. Turn up the heat to brown the skin until crispy all over, then flip over the breasts and cook for a further 2 minutes. Transfer to the oven for 3 minutes, or until the duck breasts are firm to the touch but still quite pink inside. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Drain the fat from the frying pan and in the same pan, add one shallot finely diced. Sweat for about 5 minutes, being careful not to burn. Add the red wine and port and reduce for 8 minutes. Next, add the stock and the strawberries. Cook for about 10 minutes then whisk in the butter. Check seasoning.
- To serve simply pile up some cabbage, arrange some sliced duck on top and finish with a good spoonful of the sauce.
For the red cabbage
- 2 shallots
- ½ red cabbage (about 200g)
- Olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¾ cloves
- A grating of fresh nutmeg
- 100g vegetable stock
For the duck
- 4 duck breasts
- Sea salt and pepper
For the strawberry red wine sauce
- 1 shallot
- 400ml red wine
- 100ml port
- 200ml chicken stock
- 100g hulled and halved