Vanilla French Toast with Raspberries & Toffee Butter Sauce
This easy but impressive breakfast is a real breeze to make. As well as bringing a gorgeous colour to the dish, the raspberries add a delicious sharpness that contrasts beautifully with the sweet toffee sauce.
- Measure the milk into a jug and crack in the eggs. Whisk lightly together, adding the icing sugar and vanilla and stirring well until completely combined to form a custard.
- Spread the brioche out in a single layer in a baking dish and pour over the vanilla scented custard. Set aside for 20 minutes or so until the bread has soaked up all the liquid.
- Whilst the brioche is soaking, make the sauce. Add the brown sugar to a heavy bottomed saucepan and pour in 150ml cold water. Bring up to the boil and simmer for a minute or so, stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved. Add the butter, cream and vanilla and simmer until melted, stirring well until you have a nice glossy sauce. Set aside, loosely covered with a lid or sheet of foil to keep warm.
- Heat a knob of butter in a large, preferably nonstick, frying pan. Once it has melted, swirl it around the pan to coat it well all over. Add the brioche slices in a single layer and fry undisturbed over a medium heat for 3 minutes. Depending on the size of your frying pan you may need to cook them in two batches. Use a palette knife or fish slice to carefully turn each slice over and fry for a further 2 minutes. The brioche should be deep golden brown on both sides.
- Add each piece to a dessert plate, scatter over the raspberries and dust lightly with icing sugar. Finally drizzle over a little toffee sauce and serve immediately whilst hot.
For the french toast:
- 500ml milk ( whole or semi skimmed)
- 3 eggs
- 25g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 thick ( about 2cm) slices cut for a brioche loaf
- A little unsalted butter for frying the bread
For the sauce:
- 150g dark brown sugar
- 150ml cold water
- 75g butter, cut into cubes
- 100ml double cream
- 1 tbp vanilla extract
For the garnish
- 2 x 225g punnets of BerryWorld Raspberries
- A little icing sugar to dust