Strawberry Meringue Roulade
This is a light yet decadent dessert. The crisp and chewy meringue encases a rich strawberry and mascarpone cream filling, and almonds around the outside add a delicious crunch.
- Vegetable oil for brushing the tin
- Whites of 6 eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 20g flaked almonds
- 400g mascarpone cream cheese
- 1tbsp heaped icing sugar
- 300g BerryWorld Strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and place the oven rack quite near the top. Line a standard Swiss roll baking tin, or a shallow baking tray with baking parchment and brush with vegetable oil.
- In a big, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites till they are quite stiff. Add the caster sugar slowly. Continue whisking until the meringue mixture is stiff and shiny, forming peaks.
- Spread the meringue mixture in the Swiss roll tin and sprinkle the flaked almonds on top, evenly. Place in the oven and bake the meringue for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes lower the oven temperature to 160°C and bake the meringue until golden brown, which will take approximately another 8 minutes.
- When the meringue is golden brown, remove from the oven and turn it almond-side down on a big, clean sheet of baking parchment. Peel off the paper from the base and leave the meringue to cool completely.
- Whisk the mascarpone cream cheese and the icing sugar till stiff. Spread the mascarpone cream and three quarters of the strawberries, sliced in halves length-ways, evenly over the cold meringue. Use the sides of the parchment paper to roll the meringue roulade onto a serving tray or platter. Keep the meringue roulade in the fridge until you are ready to serve it. Decorate the top with the remaining strawberries and serve.