Pork & Cranberry Terrine
This is a fruity and very tasty terrine, ideal to serve for a light summer lunch with salad and crusty bread, or as part of a hearty winter supper. Don’t be put off by the length of the ingredient list, it is not complicated to make or cook.
- Lightly oil a 1¼ -1½ litre/2½pt terrine or loaf tin. Mix the onion, garlic, pork and pancetta with seasoning and herbs in one bowl.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and mix with the lemon juice and zest, cranberries, sugar and paprika in another bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas Mark 4. Place a layer of the minced pork mixture in the base of the prepared tin followed by a layer of chicken and cranberries, and then continue layering ending with a layer of minced pork. Press down firmly and evenly. Cover tightly with greased foil and then either a lid or weights.
- Place the tin in a roasting dish half filled with warm water. Cook for 1½ hours, remove from the oven and place further weights on the foil. Allow to cool slowly in the roasting tin for several hours or overnight.
- To serve heat the marmalade, orange juice and cranberries together until bubbling, then sprinkle on the gelatine. Stir well until the berries begin to pop. Set aside until beginning to set.
- Carefully loosen the pate from the sides of the tin and invert onto a serving dish or board. Spoon on a little of the setting cranberry jelly and serve the rest separately.
To oven roast cranberries, toss about 110g/4oz whole fresh cranberries with 3-4tbsp soft brown sugar in a small roasting tin. Spread them out evenly and roast in the middle of the oven at 180C/350F/gas Mark 4 for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. They are ready when dark and crusted and the sugar has caramelised. Serve them as a side addition to roast pork, roast goose or duck or as a crunchy topping to dishes like this terrine.
- Little olive oil
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 675g/1½lb minced pork
- 110g/4oz pancetta or smoked bacon, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 3-4tbsp chopped fresh herbs (parsley, sage, tarragon or thyme)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- Juice and grated zest 1 lemon
- 75g/3oz BerryWorld Cranberries, chopped
- 1tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1-2tsp paprika
- 4tbsp shredless marmalade
- 3tbsp orange juice
- 50g/2oz BerryWorld Cranberries
- ½ sachet gelatine
|Per 100g||Per Serving||%GDA||Traffic Lights|
|Sat Fat (g)||17.8||19||Low|