Hazelnut Meringue Layer Cake with Strawberries & Raspberries
This as a celebration cake, perfect for special occasions. The layers of meringue with the fruit in between look very pretty and it's super easy to make ahead and assemble last minute.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas mark 4.
- Blitz the hazelnuts in a blender until very fine.
- Take a clean, grease-free bowl and add the egg whites. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually add the caster sugar a dessert spoon at a time, whisking well in between. Continue until all the sugar has been added and the mixture is thick and glossy, then fold in the hazelnuts.
- Divide the mix between three greased and lined Victoria sandwich tins and then bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, until golden.
- When done, take out of the oven, cool in the tins and then carefully remove.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Spread a third of the cream onto one of the meringues and add a thin layer of strawberries and raspberries. Top with the second meringue and repeat the process. Place the final meringue on and top with the remaining cream and berries.
- To finish, sprinkle with icing sugar.
Cook’s tip: Run a knife around the outside of the cake tins to release the meringues and upturn them to get them out of the tin. Carefully peel off the lining paper.
- 250g whole hazelnuts
- 8 egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- 200ml double cream
- 200g BerryWorld Strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 100g BerryWorld Raspberries
- Icing sugar to decorate